In the Indian history first time the Consumer Law and Practice Chair (CLAP Chair) has been established in August 2008, at the National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU) by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution Department of Consumer Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi, to promote research, teaching and training in Consumer Law and Practice. From the date of establishment of this CLP chair, Prof. Ashok Patil is heading and administering this chair.
The following are the objects of the CLP Chair:
1. The Consumer Law and Practice Chair is acting as a “Think Tank” for the Research and Policy related issues on consumer Law and Practice and also develop Consumer Affairs as a distinct subject of study both at Under Graduate & Post Graduate levels.
2. The Chair has developed the curriculum and teaches the same to the under-graduate students as well as post-graduate students in law at NLSIU.
3. The Chairis encouraging and supervise the candidates for research degrees, such as M. Phil, Ph. D and LL. D and develop skills in this branch of law;
4. The Chair is encouraging empirical research to be carried out on various aspects affecting consumer affairs;
5. The Chair is publishing research articles in national and international journals as well on a regular basis;
6. The Chair is updating the legal developments and decisions of various courts on a yearly basis and publish the same in the March of the Law of NLSIU;
7. The Chair is publishing a quarterly News Letter on Consumer Affairs containing a brief report on the activities of the Chair, Legal developments in the field of Consumer Affairs, summary of leading judicial decisions of the Supreme Court and High Courts as well as the National Consumer Dispute Reddressal Commission and State Consumer Dispute Reddressal Commissions. The same Newsletter will also be released in the electronic format and uploaded in the web site periodically to facilitate access to those information free of cost; and
8. The Chair is also performing the following functions; to providing necessary expert inputs for formulation of policy / programs / schemes of the Department of Consumer Affairs; to identifying and disseminate best practices in the field of consumer protection Laws and Practice; to publishing, in the form of books, monographs pamphlets to fill up existing knowledge gap and the results of research studies conducted by them from the CWF grant;Sponsoring/ Organizing seminars/ workshops/conferences etc. on consumer related issues at national / regional levels;Organizing periodically, short term training programs for the law teachers, NGOs and others;
9. The Chair hasstarted a Post-Graduate Diploma Course on Consumer Affairs through the Distance Education mode and work with the Distance Education Department at the NLSIU; and
THE POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN CONSUMER LAW AND PRACTICE (PGDCLP)
The PGDCLPcourse is aimed at sensitizing people about the Consumer Rights.This course provides opportunity for candidates to receive advanced instructions in the relationship and interplay between existing consumers’ related legislation and changing scenario. The diploma is specially designed to meet the needs of those whose prior education has been in the field other than law and who would like to supplement their database with in-depth knowledge of consumer laws.
This Diploma is essentially supplementary qualifications, and intends to impart specialized knowledge and skills. This course is aimed at equipping every person in India about their Consumer Rights, Manufacturers and Service Providers Professional Ethics, Responsibilities and Liabilities. It helps to all professionals like Lawyers, Doctors, Pharmacist, Health workers, Engineers, Software Professionals, Consumer Dispute Reddressal Forum Members, Company Executives, Journalists, Farmers, Non-Governmental Organizations, Government Officials and Manufacturers, Retailers, Sellers…..in their day today activities.
Mrs Anita A. Patil is a Research Assistant at Chair on Consumer law and Practice, National Law School of India University, Bangalore. She has completed her Bachelors & Masters in Law with specialization in Business and Trade Law from Karnataka University Dharwad. She was awarded with two Gold Medal for securing 1st Rank in Specialization of Business & Trade Laws, Masters of Law 2012, Karnataka University, Dharwad, Karnataka. She is currently pursuing her Ph.D degree in the field of Consumer Laws on the research topic “A Critical Study of Legal Framework to Control Misleading Advertisements in India: with special reference to Food, Drugs and Cosmetics” from the esteemed organisation, National Law School of India University, Bangalore. She is also the Editorial Assistant for the ISBN Book on “ 25 years of Consumer Protection Act: Challenges and the way forward”, Chair on Consumer Law and Practice, NLSIU 2013 Publication. She has also presented research papers at National Conferences. Article titled “Role of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India in Protection Consumer Rights in India” has been published by the Indian Bar Review, Bar Council of India Trust, New Delhi, Vol LX (2) 2013.
Mr. Mahesh S. Betasur is a Research Assistant at Chair on Consumer Law and Practice, National Law School of India University, Bangalore. He has completed his Bachelors of Law in (2010) & Masters in Law (specialization in Business and Trade Law) in 2013, from Karnataka University Dharwad. His areas of interest are Consumer Laws, Law of Intellectual Property Rights, Laws on Human Rights, Labour Laws. He has participated in various moot court competitions and presented papers at national seminars. He has joined the Consumer Chair on October 2013.
Prof.(Dr).Ashok R Patil
Chair on Consumer Law and Practice
Chairman, Undergraduate Council
Faculty Advisor for Legal Services Clinic
National Law School of India University (NLSIU)
Nagarbhavi, Bangalore 560 242 (old pin 560 072), Karnataka
T: +91 80 2321 3160, 2316 0532/533/535
F: +91 80 23160534
Direct +91 80 23397526